Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Andrew Bird : Card Puppet



Your Daddy leaves tomorrow to go to New York. You had a great evening with him last night and was able to see him again this evening because school invited us to "Literacy Night". Your classroom read the book Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear?, one of your all time favs that you read aloud. Outside the classroom they set up an activity table where you made the animals in the book out of tooth pics and marshmallows. Did you know they made lemon flavored marshmallows? No, you wouldn't know and I had wished you would have stopped shoving those evil, little, yellow #5, fructose crappies in your mouth! But I'm a human Mommy and allowed it. Your Dad just smiled, squatted down next to you and created mellow-sculpture under the table only to bring them up claiming they were your very own creation. And yes, I put the yellow one in my mouth learning they make them taste like lemons now. Anyway, you're probably wondering what this has to do with Andrew Bird and card puppets...I'm getting to that...

Your Daddy asked if we'd walk him out where he handed me the largest stack of Andrew Bird CD's. He wanted to make sure you listened to him while he was away. We already have a few of his CD's so I'll add these to your collection. A perfect meld, your love of the violin and Andrew Bird. Being a fan myself I went on a YouTube hunt for a video that I had seen on one of the CD's your father and I used to share. In trying to locate it, I found this Card Puppet video. Enjoy!

I don't want to leave this entry without sharing one more part of our evening...
This evening as I tucked you into bed you started to get a little melancholy for your Daddy. You have done this a little bit recently and I'm seriously wondering if you haven't fully comprehended that your Dad is traveling/going away for a little bit. When you do this I encourage you to share all the fun things you do at Daddy's house. You enjoy this and it puts you in a good mood. Tonight I tried something a little different after I asked you to share your past evening. I told you to close your eyes and use your imagination...e: I want my Daddy. me: Ok, buddy close your eyes, are they closed? |looking at his eyes| Ok, can you see Daddy? e: No. me: Do you see an elephant? Lola? e: No. me: e, use your imagination. e: I see Mommy, I see Daddy. me: Good boy. When you want your Daddy just close your eyes and use your imagination, use your dreams to see Daddy. |a little time goes by as I'm still trying to get him to sleep| me: Close your eyes buddy and go to sleep. |closing his eyes| Do you see a beach? e: |pause| I have water in my eyes! me: Water in your eyes? e: A swimming pool. me: Are you and Daddy at the swimming pool? e: Yeah! me: Are you splashing? e: Naaaooooo. |long and drawn out, kinda southern and silly| me: Swimming? e: No splashing! me: Night, night buddy. |giggling for several reasons, 1. his imagination and 2. he understood the concept|.

I love you e.

No comments: