Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cuckoo

I remember as a little girl going over to my Grandma and Grandpa's house to spend the night and hearing the cuckoo clock cuckoo every half past and hour. I would get lucky if it was later in the day to catch the cuckoo flying out of his nest. Where some would find this hourly bird utterly annoying, I looked forward to it.

Last year I went to an estate sale with my dear friend Andrea. In this house we counted 4 cuckoo clocks. They were all different sizes and some would even sing a tune accompanied by a wooden band. Each purchase came with a card of authenticity. Both Andrea and I walked away with two German beauties. Our clock choices were small in size and simply cuckooed.



I chose the one with a squirrel on top and when e got a glimpse of it, especially after the first cuckoo, he was in love. He would run so fast to see our yellow beaked friend appear. It's since been silenced...not that either one of us found the cuckoo part annoying but rather I couldn't keep up with it's timing. I'd leave for work and the pine cone weights at the end of the chains would be on the floor and the clock stopped. Perhaps one day I'll start it up again.


When finished this clock will be set at e's time of birth.

So where did this soon-to-be orange clock come from? Thank you Grandpa. Grandpa's clock no longer works. It's been sitting in a box entirely too long and some parts have lost their way. Yes, this German antique isn't meant to be sprayed the brightest orange ever but it isn't meant to be rotting in a basement either. In helping e's Grandma move, she gave it to me. As seen in the photo, I am slowly revamping this memorable piece. I look forward to adding it to e's room. I have just the place especially when we get our rooms switched. I think it's super special that this piece will live on in my son's room.

e's looking forward to the finished piece. It's his "special surprise" and he reminds me of this daily.

The design of these clocks are stunning!

No comments: