Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008 Jubilee Art Camp


I have had the fortunate opportunity to work the Jubilee Art Camp again this year. The camp started on Wednesday and will end on Friday. My days have been; work, teach and Mommy.

It's been a rather hectic week, e was sick at the beginning of it. I prayed I wouldn't catch what he had because I had no back up and 33 children on my roster. I've survived day two and am ready for tomorrow.


Here are some pictures I took today. The children seem to be truly enjoying themselves. Day one we worked on a large watercolor mural (which you will see in the background of some of the pictures). Today was a day of sculpture. Tomorrow will start with a sand sculpture project and end with an installation. We will take all of our creations and install them, leaving them up for two weeks. The children will participate in this event so that they understand the importance of presentation.

We not only create Art in my classroom but speak to the pieces and exhibit them. To be a true Artist you must be able to speak about the work you've created and present it well.
I look forward to the pictures I will take tomorrow and meeting the parents. We've invited family and friends. The installation will be up for several weeks in hopes many will return to see it.

This camp was free but the work generated out of it....priceless!
It's amazing to watch such talent in these children. I was even blessed with some children with special needs. Their approach to their crafts was truly amazing to watch. I continue to learn from the students I teach, thank you!

No comments: