Friday, June 20, 2008

Wrinkles and Fire Flies

e: Why's that shirt up there Mommy?
/The shirt hanging on the shower curtain rod/

me: To get the wrinkles out e.
e: /looking into the tub/ I see one Mommy ...
/pointing to a dirt spec/

me: You see what e?
e: I see a wrinkle! it fell out!

I called it a dirt "spec" cause just plain-ol dirt sounds like I keep a dirty bathroom...it was just a spec, yep! I giggled and did my best to explain that wrinkles don't literally fall out. I think he would have understood me using an iron better but who uses those?!! when you have wrinkle release!

Last night we had a great visit with our friend Andrea. After school we headed to the loop and enjoyed dinner at Saleems "Where Garlic Is King". After all our bellies where full we said good night and headed home.

It was a bit past bed time so I was eager to get him to bed. Just as I was unlocking the door I got a glimpse of a lightening bug. "Fire Flies"' I shouted to e. At first he didn't know what I was talking about but as we crept up on some he was able to see a few up close and personal in my hands. Once we saw one the courtyard seemed to light up.

As soon as I would catch one he wouldn't want to light up. I explained that they were scared and would set them free. Then, to a wide-eyed little boy, I gave the comparison of a giant capturing him up in his hands and demanding a performance. We said good night and that we'd see them later.

e: Those flies turn off and on.
me: They do e! Do they have a switch?
e: /In a silly and why would you think that? voice/ Noooooo!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

these were two funny stories! wish i could see you guys daily. xoxo