Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day!



Yesterday was an amazing day, I was baptized! For some of you this is surprising news and for others you were there to witness it. For some I ask you to read this with an open mind and heart for I respect it will be...well, "different" and perhaps a bit "odd" to read.

I've posted a picture my good friend Karl took of the special day. I've also included my testimony and some journal entries. The journal entries were important for me to post because these are personal messages that carried me to this special day, notes of inspiration along my journey from the beginning.

I was thankful to have e and my Mother attend. I prepped e the following evening and the conversation went something like this:
me: "e tomorrow is a special day, we're going to go to Church and then to a party. At Church there is going to be a little pool and I'm going to go under the water cause I love Jesus. Grandma is going to hold you so you can see and all our friends will cheer. Afterwards our friends are going to have a party for Mommy and we'll eat and play, how does all that sound?" e: "Can I go in with you Mommy?" me: "One day e if you choose." e: "I love Jesus too." me: "I know e, one day. One day when you are old enough to write your story. e, what would your story say?" e: "hmmm, I love Jesus." me: "That's nice buddy."

He thought it was pretty fun. He came to give me a hug as I toweled off. My Mom also shared that as Bryan was praying for myself and Martin (the other person being Baptized) e stood there like a solider with his hands clasped listening behind me.

Ok, so I've probably given his father a heart attack...HA! kidding (well, kind of) and I can't promise there won't be some "faithful" comment next time he jumps into his kiddie pool.

My testimony:
Good morning, my name is Jodi Hertz and I am thankful to spend such an amazing day with my family of God. I grew up in the South, raised Catholic and as a newborn unaware of the commitment being made was baptized in a ritualistic ceremony.

I am now 34 years old, a Mommy to an amazing little boy Elliott and am today with humble pride announcing my commitment to Christ. This day for me represents; encouragement, accountability, discipline, integrity, commitment, unconditional love and hope. This day also represents my transformation from someone who simply respected faiths, into someone who is growing in a real relationship with Jesus.


Before Christ I carried the weight of life upon my own shoulders. I didn’t value anything greater than myself. I gave greater weight to symbolism, taking whatever appealed to me from all kinds of other belief systems. I failed to recognize the need of God’s Love in my heart. What I began to notice was that I repeatedly continued to feel empty and unfulfilled.


My relationship with Elliott’s father was dissolving and I was faced with the harsh reality that my life was not the one I wanted to live, and I did not have as much control over it as I had thought. This time of hurt cultivated my relationship with Jesus. One night I was praying out to some of my ‘gods’, and yet I was overwhelmed with the feeling that Jesus was near. Just as a Mother would tuck in her child, I felt safe in His loving company as I laid to rest. I was met and accepted just as I was, and was asked nothing but to welcome Him into my heart.


I am thankful for all my dear friends who along my journey with Christ helped guide my path. Now, I live life with great hope, trusting my hand in the Lords. I live a life in a committed, faithful and loving relationship with Jesus Christ.


“Look beyond the sun not below the clouds.” –Terry Virgo


Note: Click on the images to view larger.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Jodi...yesterday was so exciting. It makes me tear just thinking about it. I'm so happy for you.
jenn

Rachel Mowrey said...

Jodi, the photos are beautiful! What a wonderful thing to have captured so perfectly! We love you and E so much...